A conversation with Mark Smolik of DHL
Mark Smolik, Vice President General Counsel & Secretary, Chief Compliance Officer, DHL Supply Chain Americas, leads his company’s legal, commercial contracts management, compliance, and economic development teams. He’s a proponent of establishing strong operational disciplines and working closely with the business in support of their shared interests. He’s been in his current role for 8 years following successive in-house roles at three name organizations since 1990.
- Corporate Lawyers: take a business approach to the practice of law; your demeanor should be that of a business person.
- Build Internal Equity: offer a supportive approach to the business.
- Provide Meaningful Value: your perceived value to the business is key.
- Be prepared: take the time to learn about the organization, the industry, the legal department, and the people on the legal team.
- Tie the services you offer to the needs of the client: show that what you have to offer is relevant.
- Ask for the business: reach out proactively and provide relevant information.
- Competitive Advantage: clearly state what you have that is a competitive advantage and why we should work with you.
- Advice: ask for the business; make a strong impression, don’t assume panels are locked down. Things change. They are always looking for additional talent.
This episode is sponsored by Axiom Law: