Be Smart About Business Development
- Marriott has a budget for litigation and looks at the cost-benefit of settling versus litigating.
- They often select cases to litigate that advance the longer-term goals of the company that drive broader principals.
- Marriott looks for partners when evaluating outside counsel, firms that understand their business and can be viewed as a partner.
- Marriott works with firms and lawyers that show a high level of integrity and are easy to work with.
- Mike shares a success story involving Jenner & Block and Sheppard Mullins noting successful partnering and collective decision making as they assist in-house counsel on a key case
- Marriott welcomes new ways of billing and complemented Crowell & Moring for creativity in this area.
- Advice to Lawyers pursuing clients like Marriott – be smart about it; tell me about your expertise, be likable, personable, and friendly.
This episode is sponsored by Doxly: