David Douglass is the Managing Partner of the Washington, D.C. office of Sheppard Mullin and a partner in the Government Contracts, Investigations & International Trade Practice Group. He’s represented companies and individuals in criminal and civil, False Claims Act (whistleblower), investigations and litigation. He draws on this experience to strengthen his clients’ compliance and risk management programs.
- If you want to have a practice, if you want to represent clients, you have to ask people to hire you
- Have a goal, have a plan, and execute against the plan
- Outcomes: I owe it to my client to give them my best assessment of my ability to achieve their objective.
- Focus on who you are as a lawyer the kind of practice you want and let everything flow from there
- If you enjoy what you’re doing, you will do well and success, including financial success, will follow
- Invest in your practice and the development of your practice
- Make sure you are constantly working on intellectually challenging and engaging tasks